Sunday, October 30, 2011

I can see Andromeda with my two eyes.

I have more than the average number of eyes; I have 1.5 x 10-11 square miles of pupil to let in the light. I have better than average eyesight; I can see for about 2.5 million (2.5 x 106) light years on a clear night. The Sun pumps out 1.28 x 1045 photons a second and radiates equally in all directions. Of all the light reaching earth, only 73% hits the ground, and of this only 45% of this is so-called visible light. From 93 million miles away, even if I stared at the Sun directly, I’d only get 4.9 octllionths (4.9 x 10-27) of the benefit, of which I could detect about 2.2 octillionths.

I only need about 5 photons to hit my retina to perceive light, about 100,000 (105) to be able to discern an image, and 28 million (28 x 106) to see in high resolution.

For each second I were to stare at the Sun I would ‘see’ (although not for very long) about 6.3 x 1016 photons, or 2.6 billion times more than I need.

I see through two holes in my head, each about 5 millimeters in diameter. My eyes are sensitive enough to detect about 5 photons, but on a sunny day I can get 63 quadrillion more than that. That's just through two holes with a combined surface area of about 40 square millimeters.

Imagine you are now outside your body, in a realm where you do not need eyes to detect the light all around you.

As far as I can see, including that which I cannot see, it’s pretty bright out there.